Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Wow! I have to laugh because it looks like I end up writing on my blog for a little bit and then put it down for a year before picking it up again. Life happens. Conflicting priorities, etc. Either way, here it is, almost a year later, and I'm writing again! LOL!

It's a little bit different from the last time. I was trying to journal a bit but not with a purpose. More so, to just express thoughts. Now, I'm on a mission. I'm still trying to muster the courage to maintain the commitment to this but I'm going to do it, some way. My "mission" is to move more towards the natural. What do I mean? No I'm not going all the way, giving up everything synthetic. In today's age, it's a bit difficult to avoid that. But I am being more conscientious about some things and that does call for change from some of the "processing" that I have endured for so long.


So, here's a picture of me that was taken around 4:00 pm today. Not particularly my most shining moment. I look worn out. My hair looks crazy, skin is dull and lifeless. Nails look like claws. No, I'm not being hard on myself. I'm just being real and recognizing the need for change. So, that's what's going to happen. Change is a-coming.

First, I have decided to grow the perm out of my hair. The relaxer has taken it's toll and I have breakage in various spots. It's a hard call because I've had a relaxer for so many years (30+) but I'm seeing people who I know who have grown their relaxers out and their hair looks so healthy. It's maintenance but I know that it will be worth it when I can get through it. Now, I'm not a totally natural gal. I still intend on wearing straight hairstyles. I don't see myself in braids, twists or dreadlocks (although I find nothing wrong with those dos). They simply aren't my style. But there are hair stylists who specialize in styling hair without relaxers and it looks like the people have relaxers after they are done! I'm going to see if my hairdresser will work it without breaking my checkbook! Otherwise, I have done some research and found the names of some others who specialize in this. So I've got options. Oh, and I will be coloring the gray! Not ready to sport it yet! I have been using a cellophane. We'll see if that will work on the gray without a relaxer.

Second, I have been getting a "no chip" manicure since the beginning of the year. While I love how it looks, I've decided to go back to my natural nails. Thus the reason why I'm showing them now. Because they will look very different within the next couple of weeks.

Third, I will be using the Soul Purpose skin care line as soon as it comes out in June. The one for normal to oily skin has a Vitamin C cream in it which will help with my complexion. And we will have a gentle fade cream in the collection which will help with the dark spots. I'll still use medication from the dermatologist until my skin is back in order but I will be using the other products to help with this in the meantime. And I have started my mission to drink 64 oz of water a day, which will work wonders on the skin.

So, between all of this, eating better, getting rest and exercising, I should look much better! Easier said than done. That's why I call this a journey. My blog will highlight my challenges and triumphs as I make my way through!

Can't wait to keep you filled in on it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment