Friday, May 11, 2012

Moving Right Along

March 23, 2012. I have that day written down as a significant day, although I wasn't aware of it when it occurred. That was the last time that I received a touch up. I went back to get my hair done last weekend and advised that I only wanted color. I also got a deep conditioner but now relaxer. So we're moving on! Here's a picture of my hair the day after it was done:




Looking healthy and shiny! My hairdresser was pleased with the fact that he was able to get it fairly straight. Of course, there isn't much new growth yet so I haven't even really begun the journey yet. Well he hasn't either, I suppose. So, we'll go through this together. I've got back ups, just in case, though. I am enjoying talking with people about their experiences. I feel like I've joined a new family, in a way. And my appetite for information on transitioning the hair and natural hair care if insatiable!

For the record, I have the names of several places that can do "natural" hair to get it pretty straight, if you are looking for a straight hairstyle. They are:

1) Maxine's on Rush: Quiana or Michelle. Supposed to be good but prices are high.
2) Bella Mia, South Loop: Don't recall the stylist's name but she's supposed to be pretty good.
3) Nina's, Matteson
4) Yehia, various locations: I'm concerned about the amount of heat that they use. They also use Brazilian straighteners but I'm concerned with the formaldehyde in it.
5) Law's Concept, Bronzeville
6) AJES, West Loop: Known for doing natural hair but high prices
7) Toss, South Loop: Of course I'm going to mention them because I've been with Robert since 1996! I don't know if he does a lot of natural hair but I know that John does (straight styles) as does another women in there who does dreads and twists.

I've also read that Carol's Daughter has a new line of shampoos and conditioners that are good for hair in transition. May check it out!

Now, the nails! I feel liberated, of sorts! I removed the no-chip manicure. Verdict: I LOVE how it makes my nails look but I can't keep it on too long. Makes the nails weak. Here's how they look right now:


I'll keep on getting regular manicures to help to build them back up but I'm probably going to check out salons that specialize in natural nail care.

Onward and upward!

No comments:

Post a Comment