Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Change

"A change, A change has come over me" Those are some of the lyrics from one of my favorite songs, Changed, by the late, great Walter Hawkins. Thinking of that song brings to mind the fact that we all go through changes at some point in our lives. Some of them may seem to be negative and some more positive but I believe that you can find a lesson in all change and, if you learn the lesson and apply it to your life, then change becomes a great thing.

I realize that I'm going through some change right now. I have been at my present company for almost 5 years. In the same office, same building, some of the same clients. I just moved to a new building and will be transitioning in the next two weeks from those very clients who I have had since I started at the company. I realize that it could be scary because it's new but I do have the comfort of having already gotten acquainted with many of my new clients and I'm working with people who I know and like. The bigger change will be in my daily routine. I'm used to driving to work, taking the elevator upstairs to my office and working there until time to leave. Now I'll drive to work, get on a shuttle bus, take the elevator up to work and then shuttle back to the other building to get in my car when I leave. So I'll be on more of a schedule (it's a long walk or cab ride if you miss the last shuttle), which I haven't truly had to do in a while.

But here are the good things with this change. I'll have to learn to work more efficiently to ensure that I've accomplished my goals before I leave. I'm in the heart of the Loop in Chicago again. I haven't worked in the heart of the Loop since 2001. I'll again be in the heart of the action - the pulse of the city. While we had a fitness center in the old building, I'm close to a health club in this new building that has better class hours for me so, instead of trying to run downstairs for a 5:15 pm class, I can take one at 5:30 pm or 6:30 pm if I'm not able to go during my lunch period. And being in the heart of the city means that I'll be closer to other people so I can do more networking after hours for my Soul Purpose business. So, the change may seem a bit inconvenient and unnerving but, in the end, the change is good.

I recently learned that one of my Soul Purpose sisters has decided to leave the company. I'm saddened because she has been encouraging to me since the beginning. I remember when she made it to Diamond Executive. I told her that I wanted to make it, too, and she said that I would. And she was one of the first to congratulate me when I did make it. She's such a joy, a ray of sunshine. But she needed change. So, while we will be working in different businesses now, we'll still keep in touch. I'm praying for her prosperity as I'm sure that she's praying for mine.

This is not the first time that Soul Purpose has endured change. We lost one of our highest ranking consultants earlier this year. I remember wondering what it would mean for the company. I realize, now, that it just meant that we were going through change, a metamorphosis, if you will. It meant that we were growing and sometimes growing can be painful. But we are still here, going strong, and getting better as we grow and learn our lessons.

A caterpillar turns into a cocoon before it becomes a beautiful butterfly. A strong jumping frog begins as a tadpole with no legs from which to propel. As these insects and animals change through life, we must do the same. It may not be comfortable. It may even get ugly at times. But the end result can be a thing of beauty!

No comments:

Post a Comment